Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Funny find on the course- pic

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I just don't understand why you need to know that you are exactly 288 yards from the green if you aren't going for it. Most landing areas you are looking to lay-up to are going to be bigger than a green, and it's pretty damn easy to visually mark off 100/150 yards to get to whatever range you feel comfortable with.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think I'd be that accurate eyeballing 300 yards vs 350 yards, or similar differences. That makes a BIG difference in terms of what I want to do with my layup. So even if it was easy to estimate 100 yards, which I also don't think I'd be that accurate with, the more important fact is that when I do have to estimate it due to lack of markers it's usually 3 or more times that.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you aren't estimating the distance to the green when you're that far out. You're estimating the distance to where you want to lay up. All I'm saying is, if you're 300-350 yards out, in MOST situations you should be able to generally estimate the distance to your preferred landing zone. Seriously, how accurate do you really feel you have to be? If you estimate that you are 150 yards from the 100 marker (where you want to be) and you hit it 105, or even 110, how poorly does that effect your next shot?

I decided to MS paint this (my first MS paint)

If your ball is at point A, and you can see the "main" yardage markers in the fairway, it is pretty easy to tell that you are going to have to fly at least 280 yards or so to the green, therefore, you're not going to go for the green. Thus, exact yardage from your spot to the green isn't necessary. Up next is our yardage to the 100 yard marker. If our ball was right next to a sprinkler head that read "280 yards," sure, it would be nice, as we'd know that we can use our 180 yard club and get right there cozy next to the 100 yard marker. But if the sprinkler head said "You're Penis isn't THAT Big," would we REALLY have reason to be annoyed? Even with the little bottleneck around the 170 mark, you pretty much have a nice little landing area that is 70 yards long. Sure, you can TRY to be as accurate as possible, and it would be nice if your estimate was the right one (180 yards). But what if it's not? What if you estimate 160? You're fine. You're right there around 120 out, with a shot you should be able to play pretty well, and consistently. And you've got 20 yards of leave in the other direction where you're safe as well. You SHOULD be able to estimate any distance on the golf course within 20 yards.

In short, when you are 300/350 yards out, for the most part you aren't estimating the distance to a landing area the size of a green. You have much more room for error, and that room for error is seriously no more than your standard deviation for estimating distance.