Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2007, 12:47 PM

Default The Key Point About Specific Religious Debates

I'm repeating myself but the threads about Mormons spurs me to say it again:

The question for those on this forum should not be whether someone's beliefs are accurate. The question is whether someone's belief SHOULD follow from information available to all.

If somebody wants to claim that he personally has information or experience not available to all and that he therefore can't expect others to have his specific beliefs that's fine (except to some hardcore atheists.)

If somebody wants to claim that he is making a leap of faith when he takes the information available to all and from that gets to his specific religious belief even though he admits that pure logic would assert that his information is less than 50 percent to lead to his specific beliefs, that's also fine (again except to some hardcore atheists.)

All we want to do here is examine the claim of those religious people who assert that the information available to all should logically lead to a conclusion that their specific religious beliefs are more likely to be true than all the other specific religious beliefs and un beliefs combined.