Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Rule addition to cut down on diving/fake injuuries in soccer

I rarely watch the beautiful game, but I've seen at least half a dozen or so in the last couple weeks of the U-20 tourney. As a typical N. American fan I find the diving/acting/BS'ing horribly excessive which detracts a ton from the actual play - which has been excellent in some cases (especially the Brazil-Spain game right now).

Anyone like these extremely simple changes to cut down on diving/delay of game?

If a player lies on the ground apparently injured for > 10 seconds (whenever the ref. sees him can be the start point), then the player must spend at least 5 minutes on the sidelines.

If a player is carried off the field in a stretcher, then he must spend 10 minutes on the sidelines.

In either case if the player wants to come back on right away he can take a yellow card, or a substitution can be made immediately.

Now neither of these will eliminate dives, but they will almost completely eliminate fake injuries. Typical situation: player gets tackled, rolls on the ground for 30 seconds, trainers come out and rub his ankle, load him on the stretcher and take him off-all taking several minutes while everyone on the field gets a drink. Literally 30 seconds later he limps onto the field. 30 seconds after that he is sprinting down the sidelines.

Make the disincentive for doing that [censored] strong enough and the delay of game aspect will be gone.