Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2007, 07:18 PM

Default getting a personal loan

I truly apologize if there's already a topic about this but I couldn't find one.

I am seeking information and advice on taking out a personal loan of something in the ballpark of 5,000 to 10,000 dollars.

-I have reasonably good credit (no bad history, never missed a payment, etc., but I've only been using a credit card for about a year - I'm 23 yrs old btw)

-I have no real 'job' and very little assets - I'm a small-stakes grinder who basically lives 'paycheck' to 'paycheck' - I presume it would not be wise to tell them I gamble for a living when they want employment information

I want this loan because

A) obviously, due to the scenario I just described, life is stressful for me and I want to alleviate that

B) I think I've reached a psychological point where it's time to look for a 'real' job - but to do this is going to take time and effort for me, as I lack job-finding skills in the first place, in order to invest this time and energy that means either no or significantly decreased playing and so I need money to hold me over and pay the bills.

I guess the major questions I have are:

1) given my described situation will it be easy to get this loan?

2) should I go through my bank, or a credit union?

Thanks so much in advance - this was hard for me to post, as I feel like I've 'failed' in deciding to play poker full-time, but what can you do. Anyway, would really appreciate some insight before just walking into a bank completely blind. Any and all tips appreciated.