Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2007, 07:04 PM

Default LC: We\'re playing SNGs-are we idiots?

Hi guys, just rambling down some thoughts. The SNG players have lost "status" (if they ever had any...) the last 6 months to 1,5 years among the poker society. I really don't care about the guys complaining about how SNGs really isn't about poker at all,"blah, blah, AI preflop, lol donkaments" etc. Most of the guys trashing the game because of its nature isn't the big winners anyway - or maybe they are, I just can't see why winning players need to trash supposedly inferior players.

But anyhow: especially "post Frist", the "good players" have been fleeing from the SNGs. If you look at the front page of STT, most of the posts are from noobs or low stakes players.
Even the mods of this forum don't care so much about SNGs, but stick around because they once enjoyed the games and feel more connected to this forum as this is were they started.

I'm still playing SNGs, because I still think they are kind of fun (!) and still find them kind of soft, but I'm wondering if I'm just to stupid/lazy to move on and pick up another game.

My question is if they are worth playing still. Here are some cons/pros:

Cons:
- There isn't that many good players left who still find the beneficial. Among players who have moved on: Citanul, good2cu, Curtains, FieryJustice, Raptor, etc. (actually, most of the "big" posters when I started lurking in this forum winter '05)

- The high stakes players who still are playing SNGs are either among the greatest players (like bigjoe, Z32fanatic, Gramps etc.), or has it as a second game (like dbbeast, pudge)

(NB: just examples of names in the paragraphs above, but I'm sure you're getting the main point)

-the games are solved/may be more easily learned, so more people are picking up the basic ICM strategy

- the ROI of even good players are dropping post Frist, and the variance may be kind of bad

- there are more multi tablers, even at the lower buy ins

- the $/hr is lower than at cash games (assuming you're a winning player)

-it's kind of stressful, as you're stuck to the game as long as you're in it

Okay, was thinking on putting in some pro SNGs statements as well, but I notice that the tl;dr factor is high enough already. I'll come back with some more thoughts if this post get some love