Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Why isn\'t DNA and Human Consciousness Enough For Some Christians?

Maybe we're just splitting hairs, but I'm trying to pin you down to see if you have any room for leeway.

If God only created DNA and its properties, then He created all that is life. If God created a single atom and it's properties, then He created everything. So in that sense, God is necessary for everthing insofar as nothing would be as it is if it weren't for God.

But why must we then supplant the very unnecessary step in logic, that suggests God personally attends to every apple that falls? Or every beetle that gets caught in a spider's web? Or every plant that gets pollinated by every breeze that carries every bee, and so on?

I understand your belief necessitates a personal relationship with God. So ok, make the exception for humans if you must. But you accuse Dawkins (and presumably myself), of using science (of which evolution is but one of many branches), as a weapon to shed hatred upon God. When in fact, all that is being said is that many things which were once mysteries and accredited to God, have been explained through science. And there is every reason to expect this trend to continue. Why does that scare you so?

Just because God isn't necessary for every event, doesn't mean God isn't an underlying necessity or very important. I'm not sure why you have such a problem with that. The only thing I can think of is that you assume it goes against what the bible says. But then, so does carbon dating and that doesn't seem to bother you. Why does this?