Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Ideal effective stack size for NLHE cash

I was thinking, the game sucks when the stacks are either too small or too large. If they're smaller than 35BB (big blinds) deep, the game degenerates to a PF and flop all-in strategy that is almost purely mathematical. If the stacks are over 1,000BB, drawing hands become too good, whereas marginal hands like AJo become quite bad. You mostly see the flop with almost any 2, and then don't continue playing unless you have almost the nuts, or a draw to a hand that's almost the nuts.

So I was thiking about what would be the ideal stack size to maximize the importance of strategy and skill over theory and math. I think it will probably be somewhere from 70BB to 130BB, but what do you guys think?

I'll go with 85BB (I'm thinking of 6 handed games, but I don't think the adjustment for 9 or 10 handed would be that large, maybe 75BB?).

I do like that theory and math are an important part of poker, but when it comes to the point that anyone who knows as much as you about the subjects plays exactly the same way you do, and there's nothing you can do about it, that's stupid.