Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Should I go low bounce on my wedges?

I'm a 4 handicapper and I'm getting a whole new set of clubs this year to replace my 4 to 7 year old clubs:
Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Driver
Callaway X-Tour 13*
TaylorMade R7 TP 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 52, 56, and 60

However, I'm trying to decide whether I should go low bounce on either (or both) my 56 and 60 (52 has only 1 bounce).

BACKGROUND: Right now, I primarily use my PW, 52, and 56 for full shots, as I am a long hitter and have between 70 and 130 yard approaches on many holes. When I miss around the greens, if I can chip/pitch I usually use my PW, and when I am in the sand or can't chip I usually use my 60, a Cleveland 588 Reg Gunmetal. I enjoy flops but often go with slightly open face pitches (making sure the clubface and hands are even at impact).

As for the courses/conditions I play, I'm from the northeast and play on traditional Bethpage/Winged Foot/Robert Trent Jones-style layouts (often municipal with mediocre conditions, though).

Because I often use my wedges for pitches/full shots from firm lies and because I enjoy opening the face on other shots, I was wondering if going low bounce would be good for me. I often encounter a tight lie (either short grass or no grass on the crappy muni course) where I need some loft, so I feel a low bounce club would help me there.

Since I've never hit low bounce wedges before and I don't have anywhere to demo any wedges, I'm worried the low bounce may dig too much in the sand or heavier rough--will I need at least 1 regular bounce wedge for this purpose? I can attack pretty shallowly if necessary so I'm not sure if that's an issue. I'm willing to change and use my SW out of the sand if the low bounce on the LW will be better for everything but sand.

Anyway, I'd appreciate advice from some of the experienced players here. Should I go low bounce on both the 56 and 60? Just one or the other?

Available: 56/12, 56/16, 56/18, 60/8, 60/12, 60/16

My uneducated guess says go low bounce with both, as 12* of bounce on the SW is as much as regular on the LW and will be enough for sand or heavy rough if need be. No?