Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Price is Right Probability Question

Hey everyone,

A good friend of mine was recently on the Price is Right. He was first to spin the big wheel, and spun a super solid 75 cents on the first spin. The next girl up spun an 80 to knock him out. I remarked what a bad beat it was, but I shortly realized afterwards that I had no idea how much of a favorite he was to move on. Help me figure this out.

For those of you who don't know TPIR wheel spin rules, there are 3 contestants that each spin the wheel. There are 20 possible spaces on the Big Wheel, each separated in increments of 5 cents each and ranging from 5 cents to 1 dollar. If unhappy with the first spin, the contestant may spin a second time. If they exeed a total of 1 dollar on the 2nd spin, they are automatically disqualified. The question is: Given these rules, and an opening spin of 75 cents that "stands pat" what is the probability that my friend "contestant #1" will move onto the showcase showdown?