Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Things you miss (or don\'t) about the place you grew up

I work nights. Lately, I've seen a few shooting stars while standing outside on breaks. That's made me a little nostalgic about my childhood days.

I was born near Chicago but moved to the Arkansas Ozarks when I was seven. I won't go into the cultural issues, which would be another thread and which in some ways I never really got over.

I did, however, get to grow up in a place of great geographical beauty. We lived on a ridge overlooking a lake, oriented to the North. There weren't many lights around at night. Ursa Major, the Big Dipper, dominated the night sky during the summer. Particularly in winter when the air was dry and clear, the sky was loaded with stars. The band of the Milky Way cut a clear swath across the sky. I used to sit outside at night and just stare for hours.

I've lived in metro areas ever since I left for college years ago. Nowadays, I have to drive at least fifty miles to get away from urban trash light to be able to enjoy the night sky. I live about 90 miles west of the Sierra Nevada, which offers great viewing. One night on my way home from Reno, I turned off my lights and drove I-80 by moon and starlight, reflected off the snow.

It was awesome. But there's just no substitute for stepping out your door any time the sun's down and enjoying the stars in their full glory.