Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2007, 09:01 PM

Default What happens to the $210?

This one comes from a 5-10 capped/restricted buy-in NL game in an LA area card club.

Good game but I'm only $400 deep and can't add on per the buyin rules. Four players limp to me on the button. I have 6s5s and call. SB calls and BB checks. Pot is $65 after drop.

Flop is 6d 4s 3s. Checked to me and I bet $60 with my top pair and open-ended straight flush draw. All fold to the last player who calls. Pot is now $185.

Turn is a Js. Opponent bets $120. I stack off my call then decide to go all-in for my remaining $330.

Per my norm when all in I put my head down and wait; I'm bad for TV here. My opponent barely covers me and it's only going to cost him $210 to win $635. Backstory is he's been playing fairly tight and seems like a well behaved, straight-forward player. So the longer I wait the more I hope for the call.

About fifteen seconds pass. It's crowded and very noisy; my opponent is across the table from me seated next to the dealer and I have no idea what's going on. Finally I can feel the pot being pushed my way. I look up and see that all cards but mine are in the now almost completely squared up muck. The pot is gathered together and half way to my stack.

Opponent now exclaims that he said “call”. The players on his side of the table agree. Apparently the dealer didn't hear correctly and mucked his hand which wasn't protected in any way (these facts are not in dispute).

Dealer looks worried. I say “Please call the floor”. Floor comes, gathers initial facts and probably realizes this might be a bad one. He asks if we want to split the pot. I quietly say “Uh, no”.

Opponent is actually pretty calm considering what a clusterf__k situation he's in. He calmly admits he didn't protect his hand which is now completely intermingled in the muck. Table consensus is that he did say call. I don't dispute this at all; few lay down any kind of had with an opponent all-in getting these pot odds.

He now claims he had a medium sized flush straight flush (or perhaps straight and flush) draw/whatever. At this point I say “Really?” and show him my made baby flush straight-flush redraw. But I still hold onto my cards with a death-grip. That's my style.

Floor decides he needs to talk to a supervisor. I wonder why but within a minute he comes back and awards the pot to me. The pot does not include the amount of his last call.

Two questions:

1. As a player would you have asked the floor that your opponent be forced to put in the amount of his last call (in this case $210 which is most of his remaining stack).

2. If you were the floor and the player asked for the extra $210 as in 1. above what would you do?

~ Rick