Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Tournament risk in coinflip situations?

I was wondering what you think about risking an all-in in tournament situations. Does anyone think that it is advisable or ill-advised to go-allin in a coinflip in tournament to where if you lose your out and have no chance to win anything but if you win you double up.

Because I belive that if you risk an all-in in multiple coinflips throughout a tournament (with an average stack) it only takes one to knock you out and I think that even with a 2% edge (52/48) I wouldn't advise anyone to risk elimination on a coinflip even if the reward is to double up. I belive that it is better advised to pick I better spot. However I do understand that it may be a good decision to risk an all-in on a coinflip with a severe short stack. I just think with an average chip stack the risk versus reward is too great. But I have met some that disagree. Now on the other side I may see it wise to engage in a coinflip when you are not all-in and have another player outstacked because eliminating a player in that situation puts you closer to the money in a tournament, and maybe even if both players stacks are dead even I could see an arguement for that as well. I just want to hear some thoughts on this, for and against, I am against but I know many people who are for pushing with a coinflip even with the slightest edge say 50.5/49.5 (theoretical number) as it would be immpossible to tell.