Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Being a nit at low-stakes PLO: a shame?

In short: I am a solid winner at $.50/$1 and $1/$2 LHE and recently moved to PLO25. While I played as a typical TAG (18/10/2.5) in LHE, I found my play in PLO very weak-tight.

Overall, I play Lyle Berman's style as discussed in SS2 and:

1) tend to automatically lay down made flushes and straight when the scare card comes (pair or flush card)

2) cheerfully lay down an underfull (88 on a JJ8 flop) when some1 bets the pot

3) avoid close calls, and overall trouble (i.e rare hero calls with top 2)

I do this except when I have a good idea that a player might be tricky, which I know by observing them and extensively trying to get some info on their knowledge using the chat (I play on Bodog so no PaHUD stats).

Of course I know this would be very exploitable for a good player, however so far I've been making an average of 2 buy-ins a day just playing cautiously, since people are totally suicidal at times and throw their stacks at me when really bahind. This is why I do not even consider using such things as the lone ace bluff etc...

[note: when the play gets shorthanded or HU I adjust a lot accordingly and do pretty well]

In conclusion: I know this is not going to make me a great player, but for now it helps me grind out, study the game before I can move up and start playing a real PLO game (I dunno where the play gets really interesting) and would like to know ur opinion guys...should I be ashamed of such a nitty play, or is it OK before moving up and getting real?

Any comment will be greatly appreciated!