Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2007, 07:02 AM

Default nl holdem theory and practice

i started to play poker 9 months ago. from nl 10 i'm playing nl200 now. most of the time 6 handed. im not a great player but a progressing one.
to develop my game i have bought the book of mr sklansky nl holdem theory and practice.
the books gives me a lot of information, its a new world for me.
but it is very complicated for people at my level. there are so many things u have to think about when u play, it is difficult to practice. reading your opponents, manipulating the potsize, let your opponents make mistakes is theory but difficult to do that in practice.
also the calculations how much to bet or to bluff are complicated and difficult to use when you play at internet 4 tables the same time.

what i miss in this book - and a lot of books - is reading your opponent, specially on the internet. on the internet with 4 tables or more reading the opponent is very difficult, even with the help of Pokertracker.
what i also miss is the psychology of poker (on the internet).
Poker is calculation, analyse, but also for many of us a highly emotional game.
my conclusion is that the book is of a very high scientific level. but there is no attention for the emotional aspects (tilting, ego and how to prevent it) of the players.
Some books say dont play when u are drunk and tired. but those emotional aspects i dont mean.