Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Push or Pull, loved or feared

In Cappeleti's LO8 book he says that its better to be feared in LHE, and better to be loved in LO8. The idea is that since youre going to be playing a tightish nut-peddling style anyway in LO8, you WANT people calling you down light, rather than folding to you.

Ive been thinking about this recently, and Im not so sure. We all know how important it is to scoop rather than chop, and it seems to me that I would much rather have somebody folding a mediocre two way hand to me on the river HU in a large pot.

WHile there are some game conditions in which I guess Id rather have people coming along with mediocre hands (when nearly every hand is going to showdown no matter what, when pots are getting contested multiway, when people are getting jammed in with bad hands) I think in general Id rather be scooping smaller pots than chopping (and possibly losing) bigger ones.

Any thoughts? Would you rather be loved or feared?

Another thing thats been bothering me is the preflop raise in LO8. It seems to me that it makes my hand way too transparent. If I raise in early or mid position it usually means I have AAxx. If I raise in late position or in the blinds it usaully means I have A2wx or A2sxx. It seems like raising the better A3sxx hands doesnt do me any good because im not getting rid of any A2 anyway. It SEEMS like the only deceptive hands to raise with are playable A4 hands (which there arent that many of) -- which is a bonus because you can get rid of A3s and 23s, if not preflop than later on -- and high only hands such as KQJT which would seem to add a lot of misdirection, but all the literature says you want to get in there cheap with them.

Another problem with preflop raising is that people may tend to check to the raiser on the flop, and then I dont know where I am in the hand from the action, or I find out much later after Ive put several bets in. It also loses me the opportunity to get a raise in on the flop most of the time.

Thoughts? Is preflop raising worthwhile and under what circumstances?