Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Warhammer Online: Wow killer?

Any MMORPG that wants to give WoW a serious run for its status would need to have revolutionary enhancements in gameplay. From what I've seen, Warhammer Online doesn't have that.

I could imagine a MMORPG with a more dynamic world, dynamic factions, and allowing more player interaction could succeed, but there's none in the making that I'm aware of.
Of course, the background story must be enticing and eye candy has to be top notch, too.

By "more dynamic world" I mean that mobs aren't bound to spawn points/areas, but would be able to roam more or less freely. One could have "beginner friendly zones" on islands or such, but you'd need some convincing natural barrier to put this into some logical sense. Moving out of that zone should be hazardous at the very least.

This would also go hand in hand with a more dynamic factions system. I haven't played it, yet, but it seems that S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl has been moving in that direction. Basically the AI factions should be able to team up with other factions as it would make sense for them to maintain some sort of balance of powers in the realm. And not an computer AI vs all human players style as in most MMORPGs.

Last but not least, I would love to see a MMORPG that doesn't rely on game mechanics (read: prohibiting it) to avoid negative PvP interaction such as stealing from players, freely attacking other players, scamming players, and so on. These should rather be dealt with in-game mechanisms. Things like allowing bounties, having guarded zones, hiring NPC mercenaries for protection (or hire them for evil deeds), courts, prisons to get sentenced characters locked up, etc.

Unfortunately, I can't see any of those being offered soon. I wouldn't even be surprised if most players would prefer a safe no-losses-possible game such as WoW, albeit incredibly boring with no thrills.
FWIW, I had the most fun running from (when I had a weak char), or fighting PKs (once my char was strong enough), chasing thieves, or being a thief myself in Ultima Online before they killed all that fun by making a facet completely safe, where the only goal that remained was to amass as much gold as possible.

Sorry for the ramblings.

Cliff notes:
Nah, don't think Warhammer Online will give WoW a run for its money.