Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 PM

Default How to avoid crushing suck-outs over and over and over....?

Greetings...this is my first post, so please excuse any forum infractions...they aren't intentional.

Here's the situation. For the past month or so, I've been playing the PS FPP WSOP Satellites (40FPP no re-buy). Either I'm cursed with bad luck, poor skill, lack of understanding or all three. I need your help.

I get into situations, usually mid-tourney, where I have a good hand, one I judge to be better than that of my opponent. I will bet or raise it accordingly. The response seems to be coming back more and more as an all-in re-raise (which, by the way, usually has me covered).

Now, based upon my read of the situation (which I've been correct about all but 1 time), I believe I have the best hand going in, so I call the all-in. The majority of the time, the opponent has a straight or flush draw. From time to time, he/she will have something else. But, in all instances except one, I have the better hand at that point.

What happens every time is the opponent hits his draw. It is amazing. Two recent examples:

1) I have JJ in middle position, table folds to me and I raise 3X BB. Opponent on my left re-raises all-in (he has me covered by 200 chips). He's been pre-flop raising a lot, so I put him on a less than premium hand. I call and he turns over 99. He catches a 9 on the turn.

2) Mid tourney, I'm BB and have Ad 8d. Table folds to SB who raises 2X BB. I call with position. Flop is As 8s 3c. SB checks, I bet half the pot. SB goes all-in (has me covered by a few thousand). I know he's on a draw, but he's over 4-1 against. I call. He turns over Ks7s. You know the rest...Js comes on the turn and I'm out.

My question is am I just not playing correctly? Should I fold to these all-on bets that I know I'm currently beating but I also know they are drawing to a hand that can beat mine? It doesn't make sense to me since the odds should be in my favor...unless, I'm missing something.

What should be my strategy to avoid getting knocked out like this time and time again? It is really frustrating! I would think I should win more of these than lose them over time, but I'm not winning them at all!

Any of your sage wisdom would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time and help.