Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Negreanu: Absence of internet sites better for WSOP

Just realized this is the wrong forum for this, so if someone wants to move it that's cool. Anyway I'm going to leave it as is otherwise so people don't end up clicking on a blank page.

If I hear him right in the interview linked below, he seems to suggest the prohibition of internet poker site sponsorship at the WSOP is better for the game overall. He actually calls the new non-internet site sponsors "more reputable".

I think this is maybe yet another case of Daniel not thinking before he speaks, but I'll let 2+2 make that judgment before I go into too long a tirade. I will say that the poker boom which increased the number of players in these tourneys exponentially, was due primarily to online poker. Furthermore if what he is implying is the quality of the competition will increase substantially without so many online satellite players participating, I not only think he's wrong, I take offense.

When are these B&M dinosaurs going to get over the fact they just aren't as good anymore as the everyday internet grinders playing five times as many hands as they do, and stop being so envious?

Saying that regular corporate sponsors are better for the WSOP than online internet sites might be true in terms of how it's perceived by the non-poker and only very occasional recreational playing public .. but it sure as hell isn't going to help us get online poker back in the legal mainstream. I can already hear politicians quoting Negreanu's statement when it comes time to debate Frank's bill.

If the link below doesn't work go to www.worldseriesofpoker.com

http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/mediac...Date=2007/06/04