Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2007, 03:26 AM

Default Am I getting [censored] here? (car insurance claim tl;dr)

Cliffs notes: I broke the window out of my Tahoe. I put it in the shop. I have full coverage. My Uncle is the registered owner. Geico is hounding me for information about him. My Tahoe isn't ready, and was supposed to be ready four days ago. I wonder if this is BS or coincidence.

I was running late to the airport a few weeks ago, and for some reason decided I'd try and park in a different parking garage at DFW than the one I normally park in when I fly. I fly to LV once a month or thereabouts and always fly the same airline, and park in the same place, but since I was running late, meh. It says the garage is not full, but it was. I end up parking in a spot that's strangely not taken on the top of the garage. As I'm backing in very slowly my rear window on my Tahoe hits a cement wall that is at a very strange and awkward downward angle. My Tahoe has rear parking assist, which I reccomend you do not rely on, and it didn't go off b/c the wall is slightly above my bumper. I barely touched the cement, but it sent a crack through my glass. I got out and realized the glass was cracking slowly, but was intact. I had to leave it there and haul ass to the terminal, only to find my flight was delayed. The glass ends up being fine, not falling out until I shut my door on the way to drop it off at the shop. It caused a small dent on the side of the fender, and the rear glass needed to be replaced, and when the glass fell it scratched the lift gate, so I filed it as an at-fault accident with my insurance company (Geico). I have as much insurance as they could sell me. All the little premium things like rental car paid for, special policy on my wheels, full coverage on everything.

Here's the deal: When I went to buy the Tahoe I was declined because my credit wasn't good enough, despite a $30,000 down payment on a $45,000 Tahoe (I know what you're going to say OOT, but I disagree, I love it). So my Uncle gets a capital one loan for me, and I'm making the payments on it, etc.

I took my Tahoe to the Dealership last Tuesday for repairs. It was about $2000 in damage (estimate). My policy only cost $1100 for six months. They told me it would be ready Friday. On Thursday I was supposed to get a call from the Geico rep, but didn't. I called on Friday, left a message, and never heard from him. On Monday I called again, left another message, and never heard from him, called the 'urgent' contact/associate on his voicemail, and that guy's voicemail said he would be out of town until today. So I end up calling the dealership and getting in touch with the guy sort of in a round about way, and he sounds really strange, saying they're waiting on the glass, it should be ready tomorrow (today). I then ask him if he'd please call me and keep me up to date, because I'll need to make plans to pick it up, and again he tells me he'll call me back, but I dont here from him today, again.

I get a phone call from a local area code number tonight at 7:00 p.m. from Geico asking me to call them back and tell them who my Uncle is, and why he's the registered owner of the vehicle they're insuring, what relation he is to me, etc. I already provided this information to the claims rep when I was at the airport, however. Then later tonight they sent me an email asking for the same information.

I find it very hard to believe they've been waiting over a week for a window for a Tahoe in DFW, home of one of the largest Chevy parts warehouses in the country. I also wonder wtf is going on with the rep not returning my calls, not giving me my Tahoe when it was supposed to be ready, and Geico wanting to know who my Uncle is ASAP. Fwiw, i'm the only driver, i'm the one who's making the payments, my policy was paid for in full the day I bought it (paid for 6 months up front), my record is very clean, so is this just a coincidence, or is this the beginning of an insurance BS situation?

Advice greatly appreciated.

-Tex