Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Dems big favorites

I think that the Democrats are big favorites in the upcoming presidential elections. Here is why:

First, the claim that Republicans would “restore dignity in the White House” and manage the country efficiently turned out to be a disappointment:

1. They are no better than others when it comes to protect American institutions and the constitution (Libby, Gonzalez, Halliburton, torture, invasion of privacy, and so many others).

2. They are no better managers than others (Katrina, war in Iraq, growing deficit, and so on).

Secondly, there are profound trends that favor Democrats ideology:

1. International institutions, multilateral agreements and restrained foreign policy are not as ridiculed as they were 5 years ago.

2. People are afraid to have their jobs shipped overseas, and they worry for the future of their kids. It favors themes like education and government assistance to emerging industries (e.g. alternative energies).

3. Healthcare has the top spot among domestic issues. There is a sweet spot for a measured real reform, and the Republicans have no credibility in this domain.

Now, Democrats were already in a great position 7 years ago, and they still did not manage to win. Also, we only need one or two terrorist attacks to turn the tables. And it does not take into account the personality of the candidates. Therefore, this is far from a locked win, but at this point in time, I would still give them a 2 – 1 edge. What am I missing?