Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 AM

Default The connection between a spiritual experience and a certain religion

I'm very interested in hearing how this connection is born. If you experience a spiritual experience/mystical experience or whatever you want to call it how do you draw the link between that feeling and one particular religion? How do you know that that experience was exactly the product of Allah or a product of God?

I know the most logical explonation here is that you "choose" the religion which is around you. If you live in a Christian country or in a Christian community or you have Christian parents you are most certainly going to believe that the experience was related to that particular religion. That's logical. What I'm interested in is that how do believers explain to themselves that their religion is the correct one and the others are nonsense?

I know that at least PairTheBoard has played with the idea that all religions are attempts to understand God and that all religions are "related to" the same God and that people just interpret things differently. I would think this would be the most logical and rational position for a believer. If however you truly believe that your religion and its dogmas are absolutely true how do you explain it to yourself logically?

I guess the simplest question would be "what makes Christianity special"? How do you "know" that your spiritual experience indicates that there is a Christian God and not Brahma?

The Christians who believe Christianity is correct is naturally the group who can answer this the best but others are welcomed to chime in.

I just think it's fascinating that people truly say they "know" that Christianity is right and other religions are wrong. What do they think about the origins of the other religions? Are they just illogical and stupid or what is their justification for this belief?