Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Poker is Luck

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, a smart post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
But what you have said will not, at least legally, lead to the conclusion that blackjack is MOSTLY SKILL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure. If I were arguing in court, I'd like to be able to quantify results mathematically. I just ran a simulation. For a single deck game playing two hands and four rounds per deck (i.e., before the shuffle), I'll average $786.58 per hour at my bankroll. I'll have to play only 6,381 hands before my expected win rate is one standard deviation above even (i.e, to be losing at that point, I'd be over one standard deviation below the mean). At 20,000 hands, I'd be over three SDs from even. At around 40,000 hands, it's mathematically virtually impossible (around 3 in 1,000,000) for anyone playing with the skill level used in the calculation to be losing.

[ QUOTE ]
But you cant do it without getting the cards. If you are the unluckiest person on earth such that your personal cards were way off the probability charts and are always bad, even counting wont save you. IT STILL DEPENDS ON THE CARDS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not thinking in terms of individual sessions, are you? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I've seen these blackjack posts here before and avoided replying as I didn't see how it mattered. After all, we're discusing poker being skillful.

[ QUOTE ]
BUT, you will agree with me, you can win (sometimes) in poker regardless of your cards. Thats what pushes poker over the "mostly skill" hurdle and makes it different legally, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be easier when we win the legislation battle and get our fish back!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]