Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Starting a Business vs. money in Roth

Hey all,

So let me start by saying that I have been lurking in this forum for quite awhile. Everyone here is really great and I think I've learned a lot about investing and general finance just by causually lurking... so thanks for that. So the topic:

Basically, I'm 24 and make a decent income. I'm looking to open my own bar in roughly 4-5 years (possibly sooner, but that is realistic I think). In between now and then I have two goals:
1) Experience. I currently have a part-time job managing a bar for a small restaurant. It provides some additional income and also gives me hands on experience with inventories, orders, etc.
2) Capital. I need a far amount of money for start-up. I'm thinking in the 100k range. While this won't be enough to actually start the bar, it will be enough to secure partners and/or loans I think. (I have spotless credit 700+ score.)

My specific question is related to Roth IRAs. I've seen a lot of posts on these. Between my two jobs I save $1500/month after 10% salary to my 401k. Right now I have been putting a lot of this into a brokerage account and just buying index funds with the occasional individual stock purchase. I realize the benefits of putting money into a Roth, but I don't see how I can realize those benefits since I am going to need all of the capital in maybe 5 years.

Is there any argument for putting some amount (maybe 500?) per month in a Roth just realize some of those benefits?

Any other advice on raising capital quickly or specific to bar ownership if someone has that specific advice.

That was long. Thanks for any help.