Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2007, 11:55 PM

Default David Grey\'s Stud section in Full Tilt Tournament Guide - semi-review

I've briefly discussed my thoughts on his section in the Books and Pubs. forum, but wanted to ask any of the stud players if they've read this.

Most of us in the poker-know, know that David is regarded as a tight player (both cash and tournament, any game). Basically, he advocates a very tight (what he calls cash-like) strategy in stud tourneys, esp. in the early rounds, but then still recommends it mostly even into the later stages.

No discussion of HU play, very small section on short and large stack play that really was just common sense. One other thing, David seems concerned more about moving up the pay scale than actually winning the tournament outright, but seems to imply that that's the nature of stud tourneys (and limit tourneys in general).

Any of you stud tourney regulars agree/disagree with his approach? Anybody read the section and have comments on it?

I have very limited experience with stud tournaments. I've done well in the few online that I've played by using a relatively tight/solid approach and made $$. I mainly attributed that to the quality of players though, but maybe I was playing optimally and didn't know it.

I'm also playing my first live stud tourney this weekend and wanted to get some opinions/advice from the regulars here.

Regarding the chapter in the book, overall I was disappointed and was hoping to turn to that section and see that Forrest had written it. He wrote the Stud 8 section and was a co-contributor to the Razz chapter. I'm getting ready to read both of those and have a feeling they'll be much better.