Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: What If There Is a God?

It's funny, because I consider myself one of the more open-minded non-blievers on this forum, and you blow me away hands down! -lol

I'm willing to give a lot of leeway when it comes to having faith in something. I don't automatically call someone's faith foolish or silly. But I do strongly suggest that they realize why such faithh might not make logical sense to other people.

NotReady might not be trying to assert that science is on his side with his request to show that God isn't necessary for an apple to fall from a tree, but he seems to insinuate that such a question is making a logical point of some kind and should give one pause. Nothing could be further from the truth, since I can substitue just about any other paranormal entity in place of God, and ask to be shown that IT is not necessary. In other words, no ground is gained.

So I guess I don't see how Luckyme's pigs are a vacuous comparison. Why should that be any less compelling than the belief that God is necessary for apples to fall? I'm sure I'm misunderstanding you, but it seems as though you are saying that any claim which can't be falsified through logic, no matter how absurd, should be given equal footing with conjectures that are made through observable evidence and reality. I just don't see it that way.

Again, "I have no reason to think that pigs fly when we are not watching them" and "I have no reason to think that God is necessary for an apple to fall", are both proper responses to such assertions. I see nothing wrong with labeling such propositions as absurd, while still maintaining they are remotely possible.