Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Still Have 40,000 Shares of IMMR

[ QUOTE ]
OK, lets put it differently. As long as only a few people know an angle they couldn't possibly move the price to what they think is correct. Because the closer they moved it to that price the greater the amount of money that would bet the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I'll concede on dick size, as I'd rather not go to showdown with you Second, if I post that I got lucky in a hand of poker you wouldn't think much of my poker skills (actually I did, and you probably don't). Much of 2+2 is devoted to analyzing the right lines to take in various forms of poker, so why shouldn't this forum be devoted to discussions of the right lines to take with investments?

You've already said on the TASR thread that you believe in the efficient market theory and that stocks are fairly priced. But then you say you can find stocks where the market is incorrectly pricing in a specific important event/factor, and you can find an edge doing so. These two statements are contradictory, do you see why?

You've referenced this as working in sports handicapping and I admit I don't understand how it works in sports handicapping, because I see it as similar to investing. Why I don't think it can work in investing is that stock valuations are a multifactor calculation. Picking one factor can't tell you the values of the other factors, nor can it tell you what value the market is putting on your specific factor. All you know is the total value the market is putting on the business, i.e. the sum of it's component valuation factors.

This is why I think you have to analyze all the relevant valuation factors before you decide the market is wrong. But I'm here to learn. Can you explain why you think differently?