Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2007, 05:56 AM

Default Religion is a source of comfort.

Parents were married for 23 years, and then my dad left my mom for another woman. My mother is 63 years old, and initially she was devastated. However, my mom is very religious and has become even more so after the split and I've never seen her happier. How can someone who's life has been shattered be so optimistic and cheerful? What could she possibly be looking forward to, or where is this source of happiness?

My dad, an atheist, however is at the opposite end of the spectrum. He's about 8 years younger, and even though he left the family for someone else he's devastated. I've had about 6 conversations with him, and in every single one he's barely been able to speak without breaking into tears. He's spiraling into depression, and I'm really worried about him.

So whether or not God exists, the comfort that religion provides appears real even though I cannot fully fathom or comprehend it. Of course my dad could have clinical depression, and my mom could be a happy natured person as there really isn't a large sample size. Just something I wanted to share.