Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Shoving ranges with 4-5 BB stacks

A weird situation came up today that I'm usually not accustomed to. The very previous hand I had lost a flip for 75% of my stack, and I was left with a 5BB stack here.

We are ITM in the nightly $163. No reads since I just got moved, and I don't recognize any of the names of players behind me. Is this even pertinent? What should my shoving range be here?

Seat 1: the3gs (23487 in chips)
Seat 2: psyduck101 (4896 in chips)
Seat 3: tekiller (28894 in chips)
Seat 5: America4551 (11304 in chips)
Seat 6: djk123 (55788 in chips)
Seat 7: GG X WR (10420 in chips)
Seat 8: jayzmo (20977 in chips)
Seat 9: MSUcougar (62032 in chips)
8 players post antes

GG X WR: posts small blind 500
jayzmo: posts big blind 1000

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to psyduck101 [X X]
MSUcougar: folds
the3gs: folds
psyduck101 shoves what range????

In these situations I've taken it for granted that I should shove 100% or close to it. However,<u> fold equity is not linear</u>. It's much better to shove with 7-8 bbs here with any 2 cards instead of shoving any 2 with 4-5 BBs. I think with 3 bbs, it's definitely not any 2 since you're 100% to get looked up (however you should definitely be shoving wide).

Edit: some more notes:
with 3 bbs, it's very bad to have a shoving range of 100% here since BB will look you up 100% and very very often you'll get people isolating you OR just calling and then BB will call with any 2 once again getting a HUGE price.

with 4-5 bbs (as here), if people again are going to call with Ax and Kx behind me (and sometimes even looser correctly), then pushing is -EV again. I'd much rather wait till the big blind and make a zero EV play (get it all correctly vs a raise) instead of making a -EV play. I have to fade 5 different hands behind me, hoping that they fold bad A's and K's and other such hands. And if the BB is competent, he will call with any 2 which is again not what I want.

Also sometimes if it folds around to my BB, I might get a walk.

What I'm asking is, with this type of stack, is it pretty much impossible to make a +EV play, so I have to resort to making the play that is the least -EV?