Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2007, 02:29 AM

Default Re: My Final Word On Religion For A While

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basically you are saying that a theory that includes the prediction that most people will disagree with it can now dismiss the fact that most people do in fact disagree with it. Or go even further and somehow claim that the existence of detractors is evidence FOR the theory.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Basically, I'm not saying any of that. I am not speaking of a prediction or a prophecy. I am not speaking in general terms. I am saying that the existence of other religions is consistent with what the Bible says about the nature of God and the nature of Satan. I didn't say that this was evidence the Bible is true. I said that other religions being in existence is NOT evidence the Bible is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly I never said that you implied that the theory's prediction of many detractors would ADD to its credence. What I said was that myriad detractors subtracts from its credence. And you can't make that subtraction go away by throwing in the fact that detractors are part of the theory. That is exactly the tactic of vitamin supplement charlatans when they throw in the idea that doctor's will be opposed because they will lose money.

On the other side of the coin the existence of competing theories is only evidence not proof. After all atheism, ironically is in the same boat as conservative Christianity. About the same 90% or so disagree with it. And atheists aside from disbelieving also usually predict that most people will disagree. And the fact that 90% of people disagree with atheists IS evidence against them. And the fact that atheists predicted that disagreement doesn't ameliorate that.

PS To Pair The Board Only (Because Everyone Else Understands):

The reason I say that the fact that 90% of people disagreeing with a theory is evidence against it, is because of all theories ever proposed that were eventually settled, those that had 90% disagreeing, turned out to be right much less often than those which had few disagreeing.