FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Cal or fold?
Call 45 86.54%
Fold 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Re: d10 drives home from work, a trip report

For the people who claim they use the 'brake check' occasionally, I'd like an opinion on this incident:

I'm going about 72 in a 65, passing a bunch of cars in the right lane maybe going 68,69ish. So it takes a good few minutes to pass the 3 or 4 of them. I don't feel like going faster, as I'm a young guy (pullover bait) who's already used up his 2 "plead careless driving and pay $400 instead of $100 and getting points for speeding/etc" chances that NJ so generously gives you.

Guy in some dark flashy car comes up behind me, tails me right on the ass, but I figure, if he's going to be a jerk about it, and to make him happy I probably have to go up to 80 or so, in a road I see cops on plenty of times, I'll just keep the cruise control on and he can wait his turn.

As the rear of my car passes the front of the frontmost car in the right lane, I put on my right blinker and turn my head to ensure my blindspot is clear. As I am doing so, HotShot zooms into the right lane, cutting off the driver there now, and then pulls in front of me. He then executes the most extreme brake check I ever saw, probably going from 90 to almost 40 pretty rapidly (tires squealing, burnt rubber smell). I slam and drop to almost 30 (thank god nobody else was behind us, and I didn't fishtail into either the left shoulder or in front of the cars in the right lane). I have time to yell a curse as the strawberry shortcake I am bringing to my girlfriend's flies around the car, and the guy then burns rubber peeling out to some insane speed, leaving my view in a matter of moments.

Standard?

If so, I really don't like you brake-checkers...