Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: I\'m new to...

If you have never played before then here is what I recommend:

1) Buy Sklanky's and Miller's NL Hold'em Book and Sklansky's Theory of Poker. They will help you understand the ins and outs of the games.
2) Read the uNL and FR NL forums on this site. You will see what people are doing in very common situations.
3) If you have little to no poker knowledge, start at a $2/$4 limit table for a couple of hours to get comfortable with how the game flows, what type of hands seem to be winning pots, etc.
4) Start posting in a strat forum forum. The best way to gauge your understanding is to post advice and see whether other posters agree.
5) Conventional wisdom is that a winning player's bankroll should be 20 buy-ins or more. Your NL bankroll is 5 $1/$2 buy-ins. As Pokerfink said, if you stick to the Luxor $50 buy-in game you could probably be okay, but just be aware that your risk of ruin (i.e. losing $1k) is high.

This post is not meant to discourage you, but to help you begin to realize some of the effort involved in becoming a winning NL player.