Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Jobs in MLB, the pros and cons (a bit off topic I guess)

Some good answers in this thread.

One of my best friends works in the front office of an MLB team. He started as an intern for the minor league affiliate in college, turned that into a full time job, and has worked his way up from there. If you don't mind the trade off of low pay for a while, you can certainly persevere your way into a good job.

He's now in management and has access to the baseball guys like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, even though he's on the ticketing/operations side right now. Down the road, is there a possibility that he could make the jump to the player personnel side? Perhaps. He's still pretty young.

The other tough part is that people just don't leave those jobs. That has made it challenging for him to move up. But at the end of the day his commute still involves going to the stadium each day, and that's pretty damn cool.

My advice would be to jump on it now before you establish a career elsewhere. My buddy's team had a job open up in media relations, which is pretty much what I've always wanted to do. I was qualified for it. But with a mortgage and career where it is right now, I just couldn't do a 25k-30k salary. If only the job had come along a bit earlier.

So, if you get the chance to do something, even if it's just part-time during the season, go for it, get your foot in the door.