Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2007, 06:42 PM

Default JJ against a button raise

Live event, 30 runners, $450 Buy-in, 1st gets a WSOP seat so not much left for 2nd or 3rd etc. 23 players remain and hero is in the big blind with a slightly bigger than average stack of about 17K and is dealt JJ. Villain has around 29K and recently joined the table. He SEEMS very focused and solid compared to the other players and appears to play aggressively when in position. Blinds are 400/800 no antes.

All to fold to villain on the button who raises to 2K. SB folds and i call. I decide against re-raising because I don't feel like creating a big pot that I will be committed to against a good player OOP who has me covered and I will be staring at an overcard on the flop 57% of the time. At the same time I think villain's range is huge here.

Pot is 4,400 and I have 15K left. Flop comes 2-8-2 two diamonds. This seems like a great flop for me and i decide to check knowing he will continuation bet. Villain bets 2K and I move all-in.

My line of thinking here is if villain has AA,KK or QQ a raise to say 6K on my part will still lead to all my chips going in anyways. If he has overcards he will most likely fold to my re-raise but if he has TT, 99 or even 77, 66 he may view my shove as weak and look me up.

This seems pretty standard to me but I started the hand trying to avoid playing for all my chips but then decided i had to CR all-in on the flop. Can I really avoid getting all my chips in the middle in that situation with that flop?