Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Are You into Time?

[ QUOTE ]
PairTheBoard--
what would you describe your beliefs/spiritual leanings as? I guess I had you pegged as an atheist from most of your domination of the evangelical posters, would you consider yourself more in line with Buddhism?
I like the statement of how those "inside" haven't actually abandoned logic, others cannot see their logic. I love koans, although I am no Zen master, I have had moments where I definitely understand what they are saying. Would it then be clear to say your main issue with Christians is more along the lines of how many seem to point repeatedly to the Bible? It's not because they were moved to do so themselves, or have logic they can't explain, it is more of a herd/brainwashing mentality.

Excuse me if I'm making no sense, it is 430 in the morning and i'm taking a break from writing a paper.
essentially, PTB, you are the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

My main problem with Orthodox Christianity is its dogma of hell, understood as Eternal suffering or torment or torture or whatever softened form of the undesirable they try to sell, which is the fate of those after death who don't qualify for heaven under their cannonically approved qualifications. It's an inhumane doctrine. It isn't consistent with the God of Love they preach. And it sounds nothing like the Good News Jesus pronounced.

I also criticize those Christians who don't take the Reality of the Spiritual seriously and instead insist on a magical interpretation of spiritual events. By magical I mean physical magic which violates our common sense understanding of how things work in the physical world. An example is the Resurrection. A Spiritual Resurrection is not Real enough for them so they insist it was some kind of magical physical restoration of a dead body back to life. They shout down anyone who says otherwise when in fact it is they who cheapen the Event.

My most personal views are a work in progress and probably not the concern of this Forum. I'm open to a lot of things.

PairTheBoard