Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 PM

Default How do Christians Still follow the bible?

I was considering posting this earlier, but after This Thread I figure I'll go ahead. As somebody who has gone to Catholic Schooling and taken religion classes it would natural that I would follow the bible. This is not the case though, anybody who has followed Catholicism should understand where I am coming from. The bible is an extremely outdated document which is only still around because the church comes out and says "hmm, the bible says something that make no sense and it has been proven wrong... no biggie, it must have been figurative!" Why would God/Holy Spirit need to inspire people to write figuratively? The argument is that religion is so in-depth and so hard for our minds to comprehend that we must be given figurative stories and metaphors to grasp its deeper meaning. So now that we are advanced, one could assume that the church could rule out figurative/literal on every story, but obviously they dont do that cuz when science proves something wrong they need to beable to label something figurative to keep its credability. It is is extremely annoying to me when people jump through hoops in attempt to make something "make sense" from the bible when in reality, it was written 2000 years ago, and like anything 2,000 years old it flat out dosnt make sense in most cases.

Another thing is, check out the inconsistancy between the old testament and the new testament. Did God change his mind or did people (who I would argue wrote the bible as in w/o inspiration from the holy spirit) change their mind? I go w/ the latter.

I really wanna hear a devout-christian give a good response.

Edit: Basically I don't get how people can blindly follow a given religion in this case Catholics and the bible.