Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2007, 04:13 AM

Default Does fine champaign produce smaller bubbles?

An attractive girl sat next to me in a bar and after some brief conversation, she ordered two glasses of Dom Perignon, for herself and for me, then another and another, till we polished off the only bottle they had. Amazingly, I managed to not get lucky in any other respect with this woman.

But during our conversation, she brought up the interesting fact that the finer the champaign, the smaller the bubbles that form in the glass. I became obsessed with this statement ( indeed, I’m quite sure that it was this obsession that prevented any further luck with the woman).

I pointed out that all the bubbles seem to be coming from fixed spots on the glass itself. And since I’ve read a bit about bubble formation, I explained that bubbles form in nucleation sites, which are tiny bits of crud on the glass or scratches on the glass. Tiny bubbles congregate on these sites until they are big enough to survive on their own, then they burst free and float to the top. I opined that the quality of the champaign may not be the attributing factor to small bubbles, but rather, the quality of the goblet. Perhaps a crystal flute, has finer scratches or imperfections, which cause finer bubbles.

At any rate, I was left high and dry and began to wonder if she was right after all. Does the quality of the champaign in any way correlate to the size of the bubbles?

edit - I wasn't being cheap with this woman. I did buy her a drink early on. When she asked for two glasses of Dom Perignon, the bartender wouldn't open the bottle unless she paid for the whole bottle, which she did and refused assistance from me.