Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2007, 01:08 PM

Default 70 players $300 buy-in first hand

Hero has JJ on the button. (If hero could sigh without giving away his hand he would.)

Blinds 25/50, chips 5000

3 limpers, then villain makes it $200. I reraise to $500; limpers fold. Villain 3-bets $1500, I call.

(I played in a ring game w/ villain for about an hour prior to the tournament. She didn't have to show down a lot of hands, but she was making some big raises and couldn't always have it.)

Flop is 9-high and villain pushes all-in. I fold. Villain shows AK. Despite knowing she is very agressive, I know it's not proper to put it all at risk there when I may be way behind.

Later I gained a lot of info by watching her play. She actually 3-bet all-in w/ K9o against a smaller stack who was pot-committed w/ JJ. She misquoted HOH to justify her horrible play talking about her odds against random hands (and ignoring the fact that when a tight player reraises you his hand isn't random).

If you know the above tidbit, does it change the decision above? I'm thinking I should have just mucked the JJ to the reraise, but I gave her enough credit that she would slow down if she didn't have an overpair to me and I called.

By the time I busted out, she had donked her way to a pretty big chip lead helped by some amazing catches.