Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Networking

So there are several types of networking:
Social
Business
Entrepreneurial
Sexual
I'm hoping I could be enlightened by the wise men in EDF about business and entrepreneurial. (sexual too, maybe?). Of course, all of them are intertwined to one another.

I've always wanted to start a thread somewhere about this topic but never got around to it and let it slipped my mind. I was reminded, however, when I read raptor's response in the Poker Coaching thread and decided to make a post about it.

The concept of networking in college seems to be getting to know as many people as possible and remember their names and what they're good for. Being a 21-year-old college student, I've finally hit the stage where you have to start allocating your time wisely into some people that would benefit you in the near future. As superficial as that may sound, I've found that to be truer as I grow older. So my first question is if people agree with me on this part or not?

There are also numerous examples of how networking has benefited or changed someone's business/career/life . Example: (I just reread Art of the Deal so I apologize if there's not too many Trump's fans in here. I am actually growing weary of him since the Cuban -> O'Donnell -> Vince McMahon fiasco) How he didn't want to go to this banquet but eventually went and met a banker that saved his arse when he went bankrupt in the late 80s/early 90s. In Taylor Caby's thread, there were many inspiring and motivating stories in terms of career. The second question is: how have the people in your life helped you, in terms of business? Or more specifically, if there was one person you have to thank for your current success, who would it be and how did you come about meeting him?

I apologize beforehand if this sounds a tad whiny or childish. I'm just growing weary of the "Meet the recruiters night: Come submit your resume and talk about a glorified version of Han for five minutes" scene. Also, please feel free to add any questions or suggestions in regards to networking in general. I know there are a lot of college students that are going through the networking phase too and seemingly frustrated at the thought of it.