Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2007, 01:18 PM

Default The losing mentality

Saw this last week from a lady sitting on my immediate right in a 4/8 live LHE game. She is very pleasant and appears to know what she is doing. But, I soon realized that she was getting smacked by the deck with hands like AK, JJ, TT AQ etc. hand after hand. After about 20 minutes she is up about 2 racks. I comment to her how good she is running and she says "Yea I can't belive this, this is the first time in about 4 years that I have gotten this good of cards". I asked her about how long she has been playing and she says "Oh,about 5 years or so". We chat it up a bit but then I also notice that she is playing nearly every single hand no matter what it is. I don't say anything to her about it. I watch her piss away nearly her 2 racks that she was up in a very short time(a fair amount of them to me). She is still right around her original buy in. I comment that her run there was really amazing. She says, "Yes it was, usually I'm lucky just to not lose too much in this game".

Here is an example of a losing mentality. Going into any game she doesn't even expect to do good. How can she with an attitude like this? She can't.

For me, every time I play a have great expectations for myself. I know that I am not going to win every session but when I sit down I expect to win and I want to retain this confidence. Some may call it overconfidence, arrogance or too much ego, but some of all of these attributes are good things for my game. This is how I play every time I sit down. I try to apply a winning attitude every time.

Comments welcome