Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Should I sell this position?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to graduate school next fall and it will cost about 20k to finish my masters. Currently I could sell the rest of this stock and have school paid for. Or I was thinking that I could take out bank loans (can I do that?) and keep my position until I have to start paying back the loans ~2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like someone who's never seen the stock market go down.

Do not take out loans and assume you will be able to use investment $$ to pay them off when they come down. Bad, bad idea. If you are insistent, at least sell and dump the $$ in an S&P Index Fund or something a little more stable. Even then, though..not completely safe if you're banking on using that money to pay off loans, but it's safer then leaving it all in one stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm young and naive sometimes...I think I'm going to take your guys advice and sell it off. I'll only take the loans if I can get them at less a 5% interest rate. I'll probably throw the $ into a savings account till I need it, unless I know for sure I won't need it for the 2 years then I like the idea of the S&P Index Fund or a CD.