Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Poker Coaching and Other Ethical Grey Areas (for BillytheKidd)

BillytheKidd suggested the following topic. His original post is below and I have added a short statement after it.

We all saw brief moments of how Johnny coached Gold in the WSOP. I was curious as to what he said throughout the tournament, advice he gave etc.

This got me thinking about online coaching, which led to lots of ethical questions. For example, Johnny couldnt coach during the actual play of the hand, but appeared to be available for post hand discussion and at least validation of decisions/style of play appropriate for the situation. However, online this restriction is not really there. Where is the ethical line between coaching and two players per hand? This line seems like it could easily be blurred. I'll use ElD in my example since he is flame retardent. For example:

I hire ElD as a coach, we work out a small flat fee (cuz I'm smalltime fish) plus percentage of my Sunday Million (as adjustment for ElD agreeing to small fee). Things are going good, he is coaching well, I am learning/applying well. As the Sunday Million goes on, I find myself pretty deep in the tourney and way over my head. ElD, is coaching his butt off, to keep me from throwing away this great opportunity at the final table, but it is all between hands; "Stay away from seat 1, rob seat 2, call the shorty with almost any two etc". I raise from the BTN, Strassa puts on the squeeze play from the BB, I vomit and ElD ??? What can he say/not say. Obviously, if I tell him my cards that would be unethical. Has the line already been crossed by giving info about seat 1, seat 2 etc.?

Just something I was wondering about as I contemplated my first shot at the million and what would I do if I found myself deep. My first thought was, PM Strassa and give him 10% to finish for me
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I put my minor in philosophy to good use and came up with some related scenarios:
*You are friends with a top poker pro and he is at your house critiquing your play and giving advice for ongoing hands. He expects no compensation.
*Same as above but he gives feedback only when you are not actively in a hand.
*Your online poker pro friend plays for a few hours on your account. He utilizes reads on players he has played before.
*You get deep into a tournament and your friend takes over completely. He expects no compensation.
*Same as above, but you contact a pro who wants 50% of winnings.
*Three novices pool their money to enter a Saturday-night tournament. They huddle around a computer and make decisions based on consensus.
*Same as above but with three pros.
*There are three tables left in a large tournament. Your poker pro friend watches the other two and then briefs you on the other players when you reach the final table.
*Taylor Caby makes a video for cardrunners.com in which he points out a certain player's weakness. A CR member sees the video and is later able to profitably utilize the read when he finds himself at the same table as the player in the video.

My point is that it's very hard to draw a clear line between what is ethical and unethical in some of these situations. Some things that would clearly be unethical in live play may become ok when players are not face-to-face. Discuss.