Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Babel and The Prestige ***SPOILERS***

okay, there are other threads in OOT about these films but i wanted Lounger opinions and takes on them.

The Prestige

I like it a lot but after rewatching it this week, I really don't get something:

If Borden and his twin brother spent their whole lives pretending to be "Borden"and "Fallon," and they each fell in love with different women...why couldn't the brother who loves Sarah be the one who gets to live with her, love her, etc.? Why did they have to switch roles often enough to where the brother who doesnt love Sarah has to spend any time with her at all? Why not just have that brother be Fallon at home? They could still switch off and on as the magician on stage. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Also, what the hell is with all the water tanks with the dead Angiers?? You telling me that EVERY night they took a perfectly good water tank, killed off an Angier double and hid it away? You think it'd be more cost effective just to use ONE goddamned tank, kill the double and carry him off, right?

Babel

Just got around to seeing this. I like the director's previous two films, Amores perros and 21 Grams, but please someone tell me what the hell was the point of Babel? It bored me to tears. I get the whole "humanity's miscommunication with the rest of the world" thing, but jesus...this film was pretty lame. Not interesting in the least. I have no idea why it got such critical acclaim. And in order to be nominated for an Oscar I think you should have to do more than take off your clothes and look sad. Plus there was no point whatsoever to have the disjointed time line. Really, really disappointed in this one.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from someone who actually liked this movie.