Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: I suck with stacks between 20 and 80 BBs

[ QUOTE ]

I'm touched. Also I'm always eager to discuss these top-pair situations; even if metagame isn't important, I think good players listen to their pot-control itches a little too much in these spots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bad players do too, I'm living proof!

That said, this whole hand is leading me to some rather broad questions (or, they were, until I thought how to phrase them better)...

How big do stacks have to be here to make checking (for pot control, I suppose) more attractive than betting? Somewhat related to this, how much stack should I be willing to sacrifice when I get c/red?

I realize that I'm not often going to encounter effective stacks of this size in a cash game. So, are there any "tournament-specific" aspects of this hand I should consider other than the stacks (and other than the fact that I'm going to put much less emphasis on metagame considerations)? FWIW, I think we were about 10 players away from being on the bubble, and both of us had above-average stacks.

I'm going to think about these while I go mail off some big checks to the government, and maybe I'll post some answers (correctness not guaranteed, or even expected) later. I eagerly await your responses (not just Nate's).