Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Ultimate Fighter 5 Premiere - SPOILERS

Did anyone watch this last night?

First of all, Unleashed right before it was good. I was super surprised to see Guillard get taken out by the choke so easily/quickly. He was cocky and got nailed. Joe Stevenson was the pinnacle of a good sport to him, seeing the poor guy was crushed at being beaten so handily. Joe's quote about "if I can keep avoiding being hit, I'm gonna be the prettiest man in UFC" was hilarious.

In general, this unleashed was better fight wise than I expect this Saturday's PPV to be. I'm not even bothering with the PPV. True there were no big name fights last night, but the fighting itself was still good stuff.

Then we saw the ads for "Dana White vs Tito Ortiz, the fight we can only talk about now?" WTF? Did this really happen? Did they actually fight, or is this all hype?

A quick google showed this on the first hit I found ( link )
[ QUOTE ]
3/24/2007 8:14:00 PM

Ortiz vs. White result

Is that Tito Ortiz no-showed the weigh-in and the fight never happened.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission was not happy with this turn of events as they had officials there. Dana White was there and got weighed-in. There was no communication from Ortiz as to why he wasn't there. Ortiz did call White and leave him a messages saying that he was letting him off the hook, but White didn't think that message meant he was cancelling the match.

Spike TV was scheduled to air a 90 minute television special building up the PPV of the fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, is next Thursday's show going to be a lot of build up for a no show? That will be really crappy. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

And then, we saw the premiere of Ultimate Fighter 5. This entire season is all 155 lb fighters, which Dana comments as being "insane as all get out with short man's syndrome." The previews show that this season looks like it actually has at least two real fights breaking out in the house, and the guys just seem insane. My wife was watching it and called it "Ultimate Fighter 5: a bunch of young punks."

It was kind of hard to argue it. The whole thing started wacky as hell with Jens (Little Evil) Pulver as one coach and BJ Penn as the other. I don't think this was a good drawing coach selection. Not everyone knows Jens, and certainly no one knows that there is any feud between Jens and BJ. I had never heard of one before last night. And maybe someone with better insider knowledge than me can help me, but does Jens have any experience as a coach? He appeared to be doing fine as a coach in the first episode, but I don't recall having any information about him coaching before hand.

And wow, there's a 6 ft 4 tall black guy in the 155 lbs category? That guy is going to look interesting in the ring.

In general, the whole house is coming across like a train wreck waiting to happen, and seems to have me sucked in on that basis alone.

Anyone else see it? Any comments, thoughts?

Ray

(P.S. Dear Dana White, do whatever it takes, but get Pat Millitech as one of your coaches next season. Please please please please please.)