Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Psychoactive drugs - whats your position on them?

I've been yelling at how bad MDMA is for you for a while now but people still think it's one of the safer drugs when it's one of the worst drugs you can put in your body (I think meth is the undisputed winner there).

I read the article that article is referring to when it came out.

The main problem I, and others, had with it are that it needs statements like these

[ QUOTE ]
A study published in the journal Addiction predicts that, if the causal link between cannabis use and schizophrenia is accepted, rates of the illness will increase substantially by 2010, especially among young men.

[/ QUOTE ]

(emphasis mine)

and

[ QUOTE ]
assuming an association between onset of the disease and both light and heavy users

[/ QUOTE ]

They are basically making a huge assumption and then running the numbers.

I'm not saying that pot is good for you or is completely harmless. Any psychoactive substance will cause problems if you do enough of it. And certainly marijuana during development is bad. My point is considering the options (other illegal drugs, alcohol, nicotine, etc.), weed is clearly the safest drug with considerations to immediate danger, long-term health effects, long-term cognitive effects, addicton, etc.
Is smoking it all day, every day gonna cause deficits? Most likely.

P.S. A lot of people confuse deficits associated with the long 1/2 life of the drug in the system as actual long-term changes that would remain after abstinence for a long period. Also, people often ignore comorbitity of other problems, pre-existing conditions, and self-medication uses which present some interesting selection biases for their thoughts on marijuana.