Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Bizarro Sklansky lists

Did you ever think maybe the reason that 'standing in place on a pole' isn't a recognized sport is because it is very boring to both play and watch?

I guess though if it happens on Survivor that it must be true. Women are probably great pole standers. If only the world wasn't out to get them, and gave this exciting new sport a chance to live.

Women probably are "better" at figure skating and gymnastics (and I guess synchronized swimming too), if you're determined to find a sport they're better at. Women's figure skating, in turn, gets much better ratings than men's. (OMG maybe the male Gods of declaring what is and what isn't a sport should eliminate figure skating!) But by the qualitative (and complicated) nature of the scoring, it doesn't make for good analytical discussion, especially since there are different assumed standards for each gender.

A female athlete is probably more likely to be better than a male at things involving balance, grace, and art (as opposed to speed, strength, etc). So it makes sense that the sports they are "better" at will be of the qualitative nature. But the truth is men and women are just different. Overall, men are probably much "better" at sports than women. So what? Why is it so hard for some people to just admit that genders are different? Being "equal" in the abstract sense (referring to how we relate to each other in society) is different than proving we are equal in every activity we encounter. Men perform better in some areas, women in others.

I wasn't even gonna bother replying to this, but I realized what you're saying highlights something I consider important. If you truly care about equality, you should be willing to be honest with our differences. And realize we are still equal anyways. People like you are searching for some artificial ideal of equality, and actually hurting its cause by misrepresenting it (because it's so easy to point to flaws in what you're saying). Why not stay true to what you really believe, and admit that men are probably better at sports, but that the innate equality of men and women overrides that.