Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Wealth is Relative

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, anyone whose happiness about having an 80" LCD TV changes to unhappiness as soon as a 100" version comes out, would probably benefit from psychological counseling.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet, people's happiness about things does change when new things come out.

Would you be happy with a 12" B&W TV?

And yet, 50 years ago you would have been.

The same thing applies to CRT monitors... and pretty much everything.

Someone said he's happy with a "decent" car. But what is a decent car?

There was a time when a car without A/C, heat, power steering, or even a starter system that didn't depend on standing outside the car and turning a crank was "decent." (Even marvelous.) But that's not the case anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, come on. I have two good LCD monitors which I purchased a couple of years ago, and I AM very happy with them despite the fact that even better and larger models have since come on the market. I have a good solid GM car and I AM happy with it despite the fact that it is far from new and there are many more spiffy models available.

Anyone who becomes truly unhappy with a very nice thing as soon as something a little bit better hits the market has a genuine psychological problem, in my opinion. I don't know the name for it, but that is not quite normal. A minor or fleeting thought about the new model being nicer is one thing, but becoming unhappy with something you were really happy about...??? If the improvement as a new model is huge that is a different matter, but an 80" LCD TV versus a 100" inch LCD TV - if the 80" isn't plenty good enough for you (or for anyone else) to be happy with - I am really left near speechless at this point.

Well, I guess I am done with this thread. I thought I had heard everything but I guess I hadn't [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ... To each his own, as they say...thanks for reading and responding to my posts, and no insults intended...a mindset such as you describe is just very foreign to my way of thinking...