Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Real questions about pro choice

OP,

(to note, I havent read the thread so this might be a repeat)

Lets assume there is some library in your area. If I offered you $5, would you be willing to run through it wearing no clothing, with just a mask on your face? No? OK, I accept that. What if Bill Gates offered you $1 billion dollars. Yes. Hmmm. What is the exact dollar amount that gets you to say yes? Hmmm... cant pinpoint it?

Now, I use this example not to make any point about abortion, per se, but just to illustrate that this common pro-life argument is flawed.

Just because you cant identify the number between 5 and 1 billion dollars that makes you switch doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Similarily, just because a person cant identify the point between 1 day and 9 months at which a fetus can no longer be morally aborted doesnt, by itself, mean that it doesnt exist.

EDIT: in response the obvious counter to my statements, I will add in ahead of time:

define the legal limit on abortion at some time that is safely and certainly below the limit.

ie. "I dont know where the switch occurs, but Im certain it is below $50" or "I dont know where the switch occurs, but Im certain it is below 1 month"