Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Real questions about pro choice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jogger,

First important distinction: a Trimester is 13 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Read my post more carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm... I did. You refer to the 11th trimester and 12th trimester...what are you talking about there?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Second: "Life" in this case is determined by the law to exist at 13 weeks, and (arbitrarily) to not exist at 12 weeks. As in, the taking of a life being murder, the removal of a 12 week fetus being "not murder."

[/ QUOTE ]
Read the very first paragraph of your own post more carefully, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I apologize for the lack of clarity. I was juxtaposing the law and science, but I did not make it clear in my OP. The law uses its own definition of "life" to determine when a life is unjustly taken. i.e. You can't be prosecuted for murder for killing someone who is already dead, or in the case here, for killing something that is not considered "alive." So, given that the law arbitrarily chose 13 weeks along in the pregnancy to assign this distinction, where do you personally draw the line? And why?

One of your posts mentioned viability, which as I stated earlier, no fetus is viable earlier than 20 weeks along. The earliest known survival was born at about 22 weeks I believe, will have to check to be sure.