Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2007, 12:37 AM

Default getting scammed by the sushi place - whats your play?

so 7pm rolls around and stinkypete and dan bright decide it's time for breakfast and we hit up a place called sushi sei near there hermosa pier. the place is a pretty standard sushi bar, which is what we're looking for.

we order a bunch of stuff, some rolls, some sashimi, whatever, and the sushi chef asks us if we've been there before and rainbow tells him no and whatever blah blah we get like half our order and its good.

then the chef asks us if we'd like to try "something special" and of course we assume he's going to comp us some small dish like they often do at sushi places and dan says sure. so we get our somethign special which is some dish with some cooked fish (i think it's supposed to be seared but its overcooked) and some avocado and whatnot. so i try it and it's not very good and the chef asks us if it's good and i say "it's okay" because i tend not to lie and dan finishes the dish.

nothing happens for a while and the chef asks us if we want anything else and i'm like "uuhhhhh yeah can we get the stuff we ordered" but like more politely because we're canadian. at this point i'm thinking the chef thought our order was too boring or something and that's why he offered to make "something special" as a substitute for what we ordered. i'm pretty sure he had no intention of giving us the rest of the stuff we already ordered. and i'm pretty damn confused.

eventually we get the check and i'm pretty much expecting to see the chef's "somethign special" on it even though it first seemed like it would be comped.

instead the check has two items:

pot stickers $5.50
sushi $43.50

now, i've been to a lot of sushi bars but i've never been to one where all the sushi is just lumped together in one price. they obviously had to add it all up - why isn't the stuff separate on the check?

it's obvious from the price that we were charged for the "something special" (around 10 bucks or so). and i'm pretty sure that the reason the "sushi" we ordered isn't itemized on the check is because they don't want us to bitch about the extra charge that we didn't really agree to.

so at this point i feel like we're totally being scammed. the money's not a big deal, but i don't particularly like to get scammed. what's our play?

cliff notes: sushi chef asked us if we wanted "somethign special". we thought we were getting comped. we got charged for it, but they tried to hide it on the check by lumping it with all the other sushi. wtf????